Car Stalling When in Reverse or Drive

For discussion of Phil Tobin's Tuner Studio software (Only about the tuning software itself, not about how to tune or firmware features)

Moderator: LT401Vette

Lazabby
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Car Stalling When in Reverse or Drive

Post by Lazabby »

I've recently converted to EFI with the MS 3.57 and using Tuner Studio. I'm trying to do the fine tuning. Overall the car seems to be running well. I have an automatic. Occasionally when I change from "Park" to either "Reverse" or "Drive" the car will stall. I can start the car back up but it will continue to stall when I try to move it to Reverse or Drive. It's normal for RPMs to drop as a load gets on the engine. Where do I go in Tuner Studio to adjust for this? It doesn't seem to matter whether the car is cold or hot when it happens.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Car Stalling When in Reverse or Drive

Post by prof315 »

what are you using for idle control?
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Lazabby
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Lazabby »

I'm still having the issue. This is a 3.57 board. THE IAC is a GM stopper motor. THere is no TPS. Would turning on the idle advance setting in TS help? I've attached a log file and the tune.
2012-05-02_19.29.06.msl
Last edited by Lazabby on Thu May 03, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lazabby
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Lazabby »

Here is tune.
5-2 CurrentTune.msq
Lazabby
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Lazabby »

I have set my idle air controller to closed loop. I'm trying to set the closed loop idle PIP setting. Normal idle is about 900 RPM. Could someone look at my current tune and let me know whether you think the settings are correct? Also the closed loop idle target RPM looks steep to me. Should I flatten this?
Lazabby
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Lazabby »

I'm running the closed loop. When I start the car it runs for a few seconds then acts like it wants to die. It sound like MY warm up enrichment needs to be adjusted. Then when I put it in reverse, the rpm drop and the car dies. If I start it again, and put it in reverse, the rpm will drop but not enough to cause the engine to die. I've attached my current tune and a datalog. What do I need to change?