Has ANYONE put a MS3-Pro on a Jeep 4.0 and lived to tell?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Jeep-Power
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Has ANYONE put a MS3-Pro on a Jeep 4.0 and lived to tell?

Post by Jeep-Power »

Hello all--

I am turboing my Jeep 4.0 and chose the MS3Pro to run it. I was sold on the ability of the Pro to work with the Jeep crank & cam sensors.

Well, I am having a hard time with that. Everything else is working but the Pro doesn't even see the d*** things.

I have searched around the web quite a bit and can't find a d*** thing on using the MS3Pro on a Jeep 4.0, let alone anything on how to configure this thing to work.

Anyone???
-Peter
MS3Pro in a Turbo'd Jeep 4.2/4.0 6 Cyl (T3/T4), Seq Inj, Wasted Spark, Intercooler, BOV & WG
MS Build Thread Full Build Thread
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Has ANYONE put a MS3-Pro on a Jeep 4.0 and lived to tell

Post by Matt Cramer »

Can you post a copy of your tune file and a composite log of an attempted start? This will give me more to go on.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Jeep-Power
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jeep-Power »

matt-- thanks for the reply

I hadn't even gotten past sensor setup at that point-- so no tune file or logs to speak of. Let alone I barely know how to produce one, still. :oops:

the culprit was missing the step of installing the MS supplied 1K pull-up resistors on the Hall effect senors (between the power & signal leads). that cured the issue
-Peter
MS3Pro in a Turbo'd Jeep 4.2/4.0 6 Cyl (T3/T4), Seq Inj, Wasted Spark, Intercooler, BOV & WG
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Please post the results and progress of your project, I am sure there are many others here intestested in taking a poke @ their 4L Jeep.
I for instance have a donor turbo for our family ride 2000 Jeep GC with 4L inline and forsee taking a run at that sometime. I would like to retain most of the stock onboard diagnostics and gauge function so would most splice systems together. Unforetunately, my work interferes with such fun, time consuming stuff.
If you are at the sensor stage, there will most likely be many phases before you (using the term loosely), don't loose patience, MS just works!
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
Jeep-Power
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jeep-Power »

R100RT wrote:Please post the results and progress of your project, I am sure there are many others here intestested in taking a poke @ their 4L Jeep...

...If you are at the sensor stage, there will most likely be many phases before you (using the term loosely), don't loose patience, MS just works!
thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep the progress coming.
-Peter
ngrover
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ngrover »

Any updates on your 4.0 MS project? I'm looking to put one in my 97.
Jeep-Power
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jeep-Power »

It is up and running. I have put at least a 1000 miles on it and 3 wheeling trips.

I have been having some serious issues with the Jeep IAC-- it keeps blowing the stepper controller in the MS3Pro. It is back from it's second repair. I nave not taken the time to hook up the IAC since I got it back a few weeks ago. Been busy with moving to the Charolette NC area. For the most part, DIY has told me that they have found nothing wrong on their end. I have tested all that they suggest on my end, and can find nothing wrong, either. It has been kinda frustrating-- the repair time has been 2-3 weeks (the 3+ week turn around included a bunch of bench testing on their end)

FOr now I fabbed up a sort of needle screw to replace the IAC and have been using the hand throttle to adjust the idle for warm-up. Once it is warmed up, it idles & runs great. (200 HP 300ftlbs @ 6PSI boost - at the wheels)

The other big issue is the fuel pressure will not stay. Not sure if it is the voltage to the pump or if the boost is effecting the pressure regulator. I have tried three regulators (one new) with the same results. On start up can start out 10 PSI high or low, which in turn makes the fuel ratio (FR) high or low. with a little boost and/ or drivetime, it settles somewhere around normal.

IN the mean time, I have been driving it. With the move and house prep- i just haven't had the time (or the weather) to sit in the driveway & tinker with it.
-Peter
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'm sorry the IACs had taken so long to sort. We tested the IAC valve from the Jeep on the bench and had it running back and forth for several hours continuously without the driver failing. I've put a mod in the MS3-Pro based on what I think may be going on - let me know what the results are.
Jeep-Power
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jeep-Power »

ngrover wrote:Any updates on your 4.0 MS project? I'm looking to put one in my 97.

got a build thread on it-

LINK
-Peter
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Another note: We now have a Jeep project of our own, a Grand Cherokee. Just got it up and running last month. It's using all factory sensors and the factory stepper IAC. We changed out the coil for an IGN-1A instead of using a separate ignition module.
Jeep-Power
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jeep-Power »

Matt Cramer wrote:Another note: We now have a Jeep project of our own, a Grand Cherokee. Just got it up and running last month. It's using all factory sensors and the factory stepper IAC. We changed out the coil for an IGN-1A instead of using a separate ignition module.

very cool. Email sent!
-Peter
frankw
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by frankw »

For what it's worth, I've been running my 2001 Jeep Wrangler with a stock 4.0L, both fuel and spark, on an MS3 with a V3.0 board (not a Pro unit) for a couple years now. I haven't blown out the IAC driver yet.

I went with a 36 tooth pattern on the lower pulley and a Ford ranger sensor for triggering so I could use it as a test mule for anything I build all the way back to the MS1. Everything else uses the stock sensors which I tied in with weatherpack connectors. Overall, it was a pretty uneventful install, but I do enjoy the smooth throttle response I have with my own tune. It's real handy here in Michigan this time of year...

Frank
2001 Jeep Wrangler
1999 Saturn SC2
BlueCuda
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by BlueCuda »

I will have to Keep an eye on the Jeep Stuff. I have a 97 XJ with a stroked 4.0L I would like to be able to tune someday. It currently lays down a pretty good Air fuel curve as is with only the injectors bieng changed but I bet it could be made much better. I will keep on eye out here.

I just started an MS3X build for my Barracuda....like I haven't even built the stim board yet lol.
Jeep-Power
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jeep-Power »

frankw wrote:For what it's worth, I've been running my 2001 Jeep Wrangler with a stock 4.0L, both fuel and spark, on an MS3 with a V3.0 board (not a Pro unit) for a couple years now. I haven't blown out the IAC driver yet.

I went with a 36 tooth pattern on the lower pulley and a Ford ranger sensor for triggering so I could use it as a test mule for anything I build all the way back to the MS1. Everything else uses the stock sensors which I tied in with weatherpack connectors. Overall, it was a pretty uneventful install, but I do enjoy the smooth throttle response I have with my own tune. It's real handy here in Michigan this time of year...

Frank
2001 Jeep Wrangler
1999 Saturn SC2

PM SENT!
-Peter
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Matt Cramer wrote:Another note: We now have a Jeep project of our own, a Grand Cherokee. Just got it up and running last month. It's using all factory sensors and the factory stepper IAC. We changed out the coil for an IGN-1A instead of using a separate ignition module.
Hi Matt,
Any chance of a write up or documentation of that Jeep project on your web site? (got a 2000 JGC that is a candidate)
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

R100RT wrote:
Hi Matt,
Any chance of a write up or documentation of that Jeep project on your web site? (got a 2000 JGC that is a candidate)
Yes, just need to find the time to do it. I'm planning a PDF article similar to our LS1 write up.
frankw
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by frankw »

Peter,

I'd be happy to help where I can. I attached the msq file CAUTION-SEE NOTE JUST BELOW (MS3 code V 1.0.2) that I'm currently running so you can see my IAC settings. I also attached a jpeg of the wiring of the IAC using a harness from DIY Autotune. Keep in mind that this is a bone-stock 4.0 when you look at the settings. CAUTION IF YOU USE THIS MSQ! The ignition timing values are 18degrees higher than what the engine sees. The reason is that I pulled them from an MS2 running V2.0.0 that wouldn't save the trigger offset after powering down. I shifted the whole table to compensate. Since I wanted to swap back and forth, I left it as is.

Performance wise, I'm getting just as much power as the stock map, only much smoother throttle response from initial cold start on up. I'll admit that I haven't taken the time I should have to tune the cranking settings so it takes a couple extra revolutions to start but it always does and goes into a nice smooth idle. You can drive away smoothly (I have a 5-speed) right away. You'll also notice I'm not running closed loop on the O2/mixture as I had some issues with the wide band sensor, a constant thorn in my side throughout over a half dozen installs.

I have some pictures of the install including the crank trigger setup but they're too big to post here. Just send me a PM and I'll work out a way to get them to you if you're interested. I could also provide you with a CAD file of the dampener machining if you felt like going that route and just running a simple batch fire/wasted spark mode like I am. However, it sounds like you might be looking for more out of your install. Mine is just my daily driver-I put the extra work into the big block Mopar & Hemi installs I did a while back.

Frank W.
Last edited by frankw on Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jeep-Power
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jeep-Power »

Awesome Frank. Thanks! :yeah!: :RTFM:

PM sent.

edit- my IAC wiring may be the issue :? - i have:

MS3 --------> Jeep
30-Blu/Rd --> Ylw/Blk-1B
31-Blu/Wh --> Br/Wh-1A
32-Gr/Wh --> Gry/Or-2A
33-Grn/Rd --> Pur/Blk-2B
Last edited by Jeep-Power on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Peter
frankw
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by frankw »

Peter,

From your colors it looks like you have a different version of harness. I edited my layout to include the DB37 pin numbers. Keep in mind, this is for a v3.0 board.

Doing some more checking, you do have them paired incorrectly. On the Pro unit you have, pins 30 & 33 powering one coil, and 31 & 32 the other. The 01 Jeep harness has the yellow/black stripe paired with the brown/white stripe and the violet/black stripe with the grey/red stripe.

Frank
Last edited by frankw on Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeep-Power
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Jeep-Power »

frankw wrote:Peter,

From your colors it looks like you have a different version of harness. I edited my layout to include the DB37 pin numbers. Keep in mind, this is for a v3.0 board.

Frank
possibly- my Jeep harness is old, so the colors may be faded.

I edited mine to include the Jeep IAC pin numbers. I either have it wired correctly or need to switch the coils to the other set of wires.
-Peter